Simple, quick & versatile, these baked (or shirred) eggs are sure to become a family favorite.
Serves: 2, one egg servings
1 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs,. heavy cream
Salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
You will need a baking dish large enough to hold as many ramekins as you are using & room for 1 inch of water around them.
Heat 1 quart of water in a kettle or something you can easily pour from.
1. Heavily butter 2 heatproof ramekins or small ‘Pyrex’ bowls.
2. If using any or the “optional additions” put 1-2 Tbs of them in the bottom of the ramekin. Crack the egg on top & pour cream gently over the egg yolk.
3. When all the ramekins are situated in the baking dish, carefully pour hot water into into the large dish so that the water level comes 1/2 way up the sides of the ramekins.
4. Transfer to hot oven. Let bake for 10 minutes. Check doneness of eggs by lightly juggling one of the ramekins. Egg should wiggle slightly for an over-easy doneness.
5. Leave in oven until desired doneness is reached.
6. Serve with buttered toast for dipping!
Other Wonderful Additions!
Cooked bacon, ham or sausage. Sautéed spinach or other greens. Salsa. Sautéed mushrooms. Really, anything out of the garden, just use your imagination. Just remember it won’t cook that long so you may need to cook or sauté it a little first.
*** We love to provide healthy, savory, happy recipes but remember we are not your doctor. Please follow the advice of your health-care provider about your diet and overall wellness and review labels for additional information on nutritional content.