Mission & Beliefs
It is our mission to serve, educate and inspire our customers through our tireless support of local, organic and innovative food, wellness products and culinary creations. Alfalfa’s is a marketplace where products that are good for people, for producers, and the planet are celebrated.
At Alfalfa’s, all are welcome and community is embraced.
We believe that organic agricultural practices are best for people and for our planet. Our product standards place organic and quality at their foundation.
Serve with Passion
We believe that service is at the heart of everything we do. We are driven to serve our customers, colleagues and communities with support, education, value and innovation.
We believe we must be ethical in all interactions with customers, colleagues, vendor partners and community members. We respect one another, embrace diversity and ensure everyone has equal access to opportunities.
Support Community and Environment
We believe it is our responsibility to enrich our local communities. We support and promote local, organic producers who are committed to sustainability, and we weigh our decisions against their impact on the environment.
We believe we must grow profitably to ensure our sustainability. Profits enable us to grow, provide jobs, increase job satisfaction and give back to our community.
We believe that change creates success. We strive to be at the forefront of innovation and product development. We are nimble and flexible, and we learn from our mistakes.
Product Standards Overview
At Alfalfa’s we are committed to providing customers with a wide selection of quality natural and organic foods and products. We support local, organic, sustainable and socially responsible products and believe in creating and supporting our communities
We provide exemplary customer service and support our consumers’ right to choose from a variety of quality products. We believe strongly in transparency of information regarding the products we buy, and adhere to rigorous standards in each department. It is our mission to seek out products that fit our standards and provide the health and wellness needs of our customers.
Since we are a Colorado owned and operated retailer, we will prioritize products that are produced nearby, and meet our rigorous standards. As much as possible, we will identify the origin and location of all products we sell.
- Local: Products grown and/or manufactured in the Colorado Front Range area.
- Colorado: Products grown and/or manufactured in the state of Colorado
- Regional Food Shed: Products grown and/or manufactured within a days drive – approximately 500 Miles – from Boulder, Colorado.
Because there are some items that our consumers will desire that cannot be grown or are not produced in the Rocky Mountain region, we will prioritize those products based on production methods, in the following order of importance:
- Organic: Produced via a system of farming that maintains and replenishes soil fertility without the use of toxic and persistent pesticides and fertilizers. Organically produced foods also must be produced without the use of antibiotics, synthetic hormones, genetic engineering and other excluded practices, sewage sludge or irradiation. Organic foods are minimally processed without artificial ingredients, preservatives, or irradiation to maintain the integrity of the food.
- Non-GMO: Certified Organic foods provide the best choice for avoiding GMOs because the technology is not allowed in organic production. When organic is not available or convenient, Alfalfa’s will feature foods produced from Non-GMO seed stocks.
- Natural: While there is no regulatory definition of natural, Alfalfa’s is a place where Natural means something. We have defined natural foods as those that contain no artificial flavorings, colorings, preservatives, or additives. They are minimally processed and use non-synthetic processing methods, such as roasting, heating, enzyme treatment, fermentation, hydrolysis and extraction with natural solvents.
- Natural Meat & Dairy: We define Natural meat and dairy products as those that have been minimally processed and the animals have been humanely treated and slaughtered. The animals must be pastured, fed only vegetarian – preferably Non-GMO – feed, and have had no use of synthetic hormones or (in the case of meat) antibiotics in their production.
Product Standars by Department.
Grocery and Bulk
- No high fructose corn syrup
- No Artificial preservatives (i.e. potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate)
- No artificial flavors or sweeteners (i.e. monosodium glutamate)
- No artificial colors or dyes (i.e. red#3 yellow#5)
- Produced without GMOs, when possible
- Feature allergen free and products made for special diets
- Feature Fair Trade, where applicable
- No hydrogenated oil
- No enriched flour
- Compostable, recyclable, and/or minimal package when possible
- Products that contain the highest quality ingredients free from artificial colors and fragrances, phthalates, talc, synthetic parabens, aluminum, and many more.
- Products made with sustainably sourced ingredients, environmentally sensitive packaging, and ethical labor practices.
- Certified organic when available
- Products that have not been tested on animals
- Products that support health and well-being.
- Products that have been quality tested and are GMP compliant.
- Organic whenavailable
- Feature local and seasonal items
- Produced without genetic engineering
- Fair wages to farmers
- High quality non-organic when organic not available
- Unique and hard to find varieties such as heirloom
Meat And Poultry
- Free Range/Pasture-based
- Humanely raised and slaughtered
- Poultry fed 100% vegetarian Non-GMO diet
- Never produced with synthetic growth hormone or antibiotics
- Never produced with artificial ingredients in processed meat
- Fresh Never Frozen (FNF) or Frozen at Sea (FAS)
- High quality without additives or preservatives
- Minimally processed
- Sustainable according to third party standards (i.e. MSC, Monterrey Bay Aquarium)
- Farm-raised seafood with no synthetic additives in feed
- Free Range or Pasture Raised
- Produced without synthetic growth hormone or antibiotics
Milk Cheese Dairy
- Feature local and artisanal
- Produced without synthetic growth hormone or antibiotics (i.e. rBGH)
Culinary and Bakery
- Feature organic and local, when available
- From scratch bakery, made with artisan & organic ingredients
- No bleached or bromated flours
- Meal solution items produced in-house
- Feature seasonal ingredients
- Feature options for various special diets
- Produced without artificial ingredients
- Meat and seafood standards are the same as department standards