Sweet, spicy, and smokey, all the yums in a single bun.
This mouthwatering recipe will take some planning and patience, but the end result is worth every minute! You’ll want to prep the ingredients the night before to work the marinade into the tofu.
In order to maintain this as a vegan recipe, be sure to use organic maple syrup. While maple syrup is naturally vegan, the manufacturing processes can sometimes alter it’s vegan status. To be safe alway choose organic maple syrup.
This recipe calls for baking, alternatively, the tofu could be fried for a crispy texture, and shorter cooking time. If you do decide to fry, be very careful as the syrup in the glaze could easily burn.
We suggest using Daiya Smoked Gouda Style Slices, however, any non-dairy cheese could work.
- 1 Block tofu, extra firm
- 1/4 Cup organic maple syrup
- 3 Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 3 TBSP Apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 Daiya dairy-free cheese slices
- Your choice of veggies
- Whisk together maple syrup, minced chiles, apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl.
- Slice the tofu into thick squares and cover with marinade. Cove container and refrigerate overnight.
- preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place tofu slices on a parchment-lined baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce remaining marinade in a saucepan until thickened.
- Baste all sides of the tofu after 30 minutes with the reduced sauce. Return to oven for an additional 40 minutes.
- Repeat basting and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- In the last few minutes melt the Daiya slices over the tofu.
- Place on buns and top with veggies