When it comes to an amazing Thanksgiving dinner, we believe you can’t skip out on the stuffing!!
Need a solid recipe that will exceed all of your guest’s expectations?! This is it!
Homemade Breadcrumbs for Stuffing
- 16 cups Dry Bread Cubes homemade* or store-bought (3 large loaves of bread for homemade)
Ingredients for Grandma’s Stuffing
- ½ cup Butter
- 2 cups Onion ½” dice
- 2 cups Celery ½” dice
- 3 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- ½ tsp Thyme fresh chopped or dried
- ½ tsp Sage fresh chopped or dried
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 ½-3 cups Chicken Broth can substitute vegetable Stock (The amount of chicken broth needed will depend on how dense and moist your bread it. You want your stuffing to be moist but no standing broth before it bakes.)
- 1 tablespoon Parsley fresh chopped for garnish
How to Make Homemade Breadcrumbs for Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Using a serrated bread knife, cut the bread into cubes, about ½” to ¾” cubed pieces, and lay them on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in a 250-degree oven for about an hour, tossing them a few times to make sure they dry all the way through.
- Remove from the oven and set aside while you make the rest of the stuffing. If you make these ahead of time, let them cool completely then transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
How to Make a Classic Stuffing Recipe (Grandma’s Old Fashioned Stuffing)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and let it melt. Next, add the onion and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until your celery and onions are tender and translucent – about 8 minutes.
- Add the poultry seasoning, thyme, sage, salt and 1 ½” cups of the chicken broth.
- Put the dry cubed bread into a large bowl and pour the chicken broth and celery mixture over the top of the bread. Gently fold the ingredients together – the stuffing should be moist but there should be no standing liquid. If it seems a little dry, add up to ½ cup of the additional chicken broth.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, then spread the stuffing evenly into the prepared dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-60 minutes, stirring gently every 15-20 minutes. The top should be lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and top with chopped fresh parsley before serving Immediately. Enjoy!